Leipzig Halle Airport (LEJ)
History, Facts and Overview
(Leipzig, Saxony, Germany)
The very first turf on the future grounds of Leipzig Halle Airport was dug in the autumn of 1926 and less than eight months later, Leipzig Halle Airport was officially inaugurated. By 1938, the airport had constructed both an administrative building and passenger terminal, allowing for expected growth.
The year of 1960 saw the new 2,500-metre / 8,200-foot runway completed, accommodating larger aircraft, while in the early 1990s, management of Leipzig Halle Airport (LEJ) was taken over by the So Flughafen Leipzig GmbH organisation. In just two years, passenger figures had soared to over one million per annum, only to almost double two years on.
Current facilities at Leipzig Halle Airport include a Sparkasse cashpoint in Terminal B, along with money exchanging services and a branch of Reisebank. There is also an onsite shopping mall, with outlets such as Eckerts Convenience, Gebrüder Heinemann, Karasch Mobilfunk, Photoautomat and the ever popular Duty-Free Shop.
Restaurants, bars and vending machines are in plentiful supply at Leipzig Halle Airport. Particularly notable is the Marché Bar in the Arrivals Hall, and the Marché Restaurant in the gallery area of the upper level, both of which are to be found in Terminal B. Other useful airport facilities on offer include quick Lufthansa check-in desks, six conference rooms, drive-up bays for those arriving by car, an Ecumenical chapel and Evangelic divine service, an AHS ticketing counter, a courier luggage service, and three lounges - the Aviation Lounge, the Club Lounge and the Lufthansa Lounge.
Internationally recognised car rental companies provide services for arriving passengers, with Alamo, Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz and Sixt all on hand. A total of 5,000 car parking spaces are located at Leipzig Halle Airport, spread across six separate car parks and clearly demonstrating the expected constant throughput of passengers.